Pages

Monday 27 August 2012

How To Change Windows 8 RTM Product Key After Install


After I've installed Windows 8 RTM, I tried to activate it as good folks at Microsoft are telling you too. When I clicked on Activate button, Windows activation failed, which of course made sense because I have not entered a product key yet. But, for some reason, there was no place to enter a product key under System properties. Or, at least I did not see it. Luckily, the good old Command Prompt and slmgr.vbs tools came to rescue. Just follow these steps to add/change product key using Command Prompt and slmgr.vbs:

  • Launch Command Prompt as an Administrator.
  • At the command prompt, type in "slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>" and click Enter
  • To activate windows, type in "slmgr.vbs -ato" and click Enter.


That's all

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Informer Button