Pages

Monday 16 July 2012

NavigationService for WinRT

It was only 1.5 years ago, but it seems already a long time ago that Laurent Bugnion described a “view service” for Windows Phone navigation, commonly know as the NavigationService. I’ve incorporated this code in my #wp7nl library on codeplex and have been using it happily ever since (and a lot of other people I know have been doing so as well), Time goes on, along came Windows 8 and WinRT and Metro Style Apps.

Laurent ported his MVVMLight framework to WinRT as well. But the NavigationService never has been a core part of MVVMLight (therefore I put it in the #wp7nl library) and porting it to WinRT as well proved to be a bit of a hassle. Some of its premises where no longer valid – most notable the way to retrieve the main application frame by accessing Application.Current.RootVisual, which does not work in WinRT. I messed around a little with the code, did not get anywhere, and left it there. So I was glad I saw my fellow Windows Phone Development MVP Matteo Pagani tweet he got a NavigationService to work. He was kind enough to mail me the code. He basically copied the code from Windows Phone and made the apps rootFrame, as created in the App.xaml.cs, publicly available. A neat trick, with as only drawback that you have to copy the code to every app. As things goes, it’s usually easier to see someone else’s idea and improve it, than think it up out of the blue. I toyed around with it and managed to get rid of the need to copy the code, so I could put it in a library.

And here it is, an improved version of a NavigationService for WinRT, based upon Matteo’s code based upon Laurent’s code ;-)

Read full article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Informer Button